A dissertation or a thesis paper usually has several sections that make up the whole paper. In this guide, we focus majorly on dissertation conclusion. Therefore, if you are almost writing your dissertation or you are writing the conclusion part, keep reading this guide to understand the concepts and approaches you should consider when concluding a dissertation.
What to include in dissertation conclusion
When writing a dissertation conclusion, the elements you need to include to make the conclusion compelling include the following:
- Give the answer to your research question in a clear manner
- Give a proper summary while reflecting on the research process
- Highlight possible recommendations for future projects on the same topic concept
- Describe the new ideas or knowledge on how you have contributed to the research
- Sum up your dissertation
How to write a good dissertation conclusion
Now that you have a clear overview of what to include in the dissertation conclusion. Let’s now focus on how to start a conclusion for a dissertation to the end and make the conclusion section compelling and meet the approved structure.
1. Write a brief introduction
Just like other dissertation chapters, when writing a dissertation conclusion, begin with an introductory paragraph, highlighting to the reader what to expect in the section. Also, remember to highlight the details of the chapter in a systematic order to keep the reader updated.
The main purpose of the introductory paragraph is to give the reader a roadmap of the contents and not a summary of the content.
2. Highlight the findings based on the research aims
After an introductory paragraph, discuss the findings of the study based on the purpose of the research and the highlighted research questions.
Be sure to focus on broader findings and explain how they help to answer the research questions. Therefore, begin this section by stating the research questions to keep the reader updated.
3. Explain the significance of your study to the field
How has your research contributed to the field theoretically and practically? In this section, explain your research achievements, their significance, and how the research can be applied in life situations. Therefore, highlight the following under this section:
- Research outputs from your study
- Explain how the research solves the problem being addressed
- Note the gaps existing in the research, addressing how the study helps to fill the gaps
- Relate your study to existing theories that are relevant
- Explain how to apply the findings in life situations
4. Highlight the limitations of your research project
Now, give a highlight of the possible limitation and shortcomings of the research project (if you’ve covered this part in the discussion section, do not repeat it).
The limitation can be in the form of the following:
- Lack of proper equipment for the research
- Issues with sampling
- Time constraints limitations
- Insufficient data
- Poor data analysis techniques
- Financial limitations
- Lack of adequate research experience
While the limitation section is crucial, take note of the wordings and phrases you use. You should not make your research appear underrated.
5. Make future recommendations
Let the reader know what your take is on future research on the same topic or concept. While highlighting future recommendations, try and address the limitations you’ve included in your dissertation conclusion.
The aim of this section is to help future researchers do better by overcoming possible shortcomings based on your research knowledge. Therefore, be creative enough to highlight some questions from your research so that future researchers can review and figure out how to handle the research better.
6. Write a closing summary
Finally, sum up your dissertation conclusion by highlighting the details you’ve discussed in the chapter. Keep it brief, without adding any new information in less than two paragraphs.
That’s all on how to conclude a dissertation. As long as you create a simplified outline to follow, you will never have a hard time writing a compelling dissertation conclusion.
Are you struggling with concluding a dissertation? Be sure to review varied dissertation conclusion examples. Otherwise, the ideas and steps highlighted in this guide are all you need to make your dissertation conclusion complete and amazing at the same time.